Social Icons

youtubetwitterlinkedin pinterestinstagram rss feedemail

Thursday, March 14, 2013

How To Dye Your Hair Purple

Update on this post! click HERE

Hello!

I dyed my hair purple! I had it bright red last summer and fall. It then faded to a dull orange so I used a box color to turn it in to a pumpkin gold/red color that I really liked, but then as spring of this year (2013) approached, I suddenly became obsessed with purple hair!
Not the lavender purple, but beautiful dark purple, purple. I discovered in the process of going from red to purple, that purple is a hard color to achieve. There are so many shades in between red to blue that you can get all different shades of purple. Purples that are more pink-ish and purples that are more blue-ish, but I wanted the color that was right in the middle, a true purple. I was trying not to lighten my hair anymore because I didn't want it to get too dried out. So I tried a strand of Ion color Brilliance purple over my pumpkin red hair and it came out GRAY!! like dark gray! So I was like, no. Thank goodness I did a test stand. This confirmed I needed to lighten my hair more :( I went to Vons and I bought Feria Extra Bleach Blonde by Loreal. My hair became super light yellow/orange! because of the red still in my hair, but it got about 5 shades lighter. It really worked for lightening. Then after I washed and dried it, I was going to wait a day to put the purple in, but I had to go to an art show the next night and I didn't want to look like a weirdo. No offense to anyone with bright yellow/orange hair. I only meant I would look like a weirdo with that color because it doesn't go with my skin tone. So I decided to just go ahead and put the purple in that same night. I used two bottles of Ion color Brilliance purple. Because the dye is super thick like tar, it's not easy to spread the color through the hair evenly. It took me like an hour to make sure I got all the hairs. Oh! and I didn't lighten my roots! I left like two inches of my natural hair roots un- lightened, but I did put the purple dye over all my hair.
I also used a darker purple hair dye by Rage. The color is called purple plum and you have to be really careful with it!! It's super dark, almost black and it's undertone is blue! So I fear if I didn't mix this color with a lighter one, it would just make my hair look black with a blue shine. I don't want that so I mixed the purple plum with manic panic's cotton candy pink and lightened it to a lighter purple. I chose a few stands of hair here and there and put that mix in. I also did my bangs with this mixture.
I let it all set for 20 min and the results where....pretty good!
It seems as though the Ion purple doesn't stick very well. It looks like it's going to wash out very quickly and it turns out more of a faded lavender purple, but my manic panic cotton candy pink and Rage purple plum mixture really stuck! I could of did a better job of evenly working the color through, but I was being cautious not to put too much of that Rage purple plum because it's so DARK! and I noticed that a piece on my bangs looks blue gray! because it must of needed more cotton candy pink in the mix. AHH! So you see, it was rather hard to get the color that I wanted to stick. I think when it comes time for a touch up, I'm going to go with the manic panic cotton candy pink and the Rage purple mix and not use Ion. The Ion purple was not strong enough for me. I want a dye that will be more permanent so I wont have to touch it up every week and that Rage really stains! It doesn't even look like it has faded in two washes already! But the Ion just faded to pink/lavender (as you can see on the hairs underneath in the picture below of the back of my head).

So that's my hair color purple adventure story. I know nothing about professional hair color, but since I've been experimenting with hair dyes since the 90's, I've noticed it's pretty much just like painting. If you put one color over another it's going to mix. If you want a true color, you have to start with a blank canvas.


My hair before I lightened it.

Lightener I used.

After I used the lightener, Ahhh!

The purple dyes I used.

End result! Photo shoot!




11 comments :

  1. Hi, nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic. Thanks for sharing your ideas, its not just entertaining but also gives your reader knowledge. Good blogs style too, Cheers!
    Professional Coloring Wading River, NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, Noel. I like the color of your hair before, but I love your purple hair more! I must agree that this one's hard to achieve. And it looks perfect on you, and to think that it's only an experiment

    ++Stela++ @ ThePureSalonspa.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. how did the purple turn out so vivid and TRUELY purple when u put it over kind of orange-y hair?? Also, how long did that colour last?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture of my hair when it was sort of orange-y looking, before I put the purple in, looks darker than it actually was. It was still a little bit of a brassy blonde, but there were lots of stands of hair that were very, very blonde and those are the hairs that took the true color. The key to getting the true purple color that comes from the dye, is to have your hair as light as possible. Darker stands of hair will come out slightly darker and more magenta looking purple, if there are still trances of orange or brassy blonde in the hair. I have an updated blog post for achieving purple hair:
      http://galaxysorceress.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-to-dye-your-hair-purple-update.html

      I have discovered that this particular purple dye by Manic Panic, basically does not wash out. It stays purple. It does however, gradually fade to lavender the more you shampoo the hair. I have gone a month without touch up and the only colors that I need to touch up really is the blue and the pink highlights I put in my hair. I might do another color for those highlights next :)

      Delete
  4. ERMERGERD! I love it! And you look like Hayley Williams with purple hair~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Thank you, I really love Hayley's pink and red hair she has now. I wonder what color she will do next.

      Delete
  5. Love this! I was looking all over for something helpful like this. I want to dye my hair purple, but a very dark purple. Almost like black violet color. Any idea on what I should use? My hair is like a golden blonde at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayu! Thanks, Hmm I'm thinking if you want the color to be almost black, than maybe a color from a beauty supply store might be good. Like a cherry black or violet black. You could try a cherry black color and than add a Manic Panic Purple Rain or Manic Panic Violet Night color over that. This way your hair will be very dark with the glow of purple in the light. You would have to test out a strain of your hair first to see if that works. I think if you use just one of the Manic Panic hair colors on it's own, since your hair is golden blonde, it will probably not be dark enough. It will be rather vivid purple, but you can always try out a strand of hair using just the Manic Panic color and leave it in for at least 45 min and see if you like the color, but I would probably do a black hue first if you know you want it to be almost black. Here is box color I know of that might work under the purple dye so you get the almost black purple color. This color has a review where it says the color almost turned out purple! but that's actually good :) http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=144467/Feria_in_Violet_Soft_Black/LOreal/Hair_Color

      Delete
    2. You can use a 1v or a 3v. 1v is a purple black. 3v is a purple dark brown. If you go to Sally's and look at the brand age beautiful they have those colors. 1 is the darkest hair can go. its a shade level. and the V stands for violet. so 1V is a black violet. 3V is a few shades lighter for a dark brown violet. And those are permanent hair colors. I'd go with the 3V first. and if you don't get the purple you like you can us the 'N Rage plum purple or some other temp purple over it. That's what I'm actually in the process of doing right this second. lol

      Delete
  6. Oh, that’s really one of those hard-to-achieve look! Usually, your hair will turn blue instead when you try to make it purple. But, you did it! Anyway, it looks good on you!

    Mattie Hanson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mattie! The first thing I did before I did anything was a test stand on hair and it DID turn blue! haha, but after a hair lightening session, the purple finally came through :-D

      Delete